[Openstack-operators] [nova][glance] nova-compute choosing incorrect qemu binary when scheduling 'alternate' (ppc64, armv7l) architectures?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:32:18 UTC 2018

On 8/5/2018 1:43 PM, Chris Apsey wrote:
> Trying to enable some alternate (non-x86) architectures on xenial +
> queens.  I can load up images and set the property correctly according
> to the supported values
> (https://docs.openstack.org/nova/queens/configuration/config.html) in
> image_properties_default_architecture.  From what I can tell, the
> scheduler works correctly and instances are only scheduled on nodes that
> have the correct qemu binary installed.  However, when the instance
> request lands on this node, it always starts it with qemu-system-x86_64
> rather than qemu-system-arm, qemu-system-ppc, etc.  If I manually set
> the correct binary, everything works as expected.
>
> Am I missing something here, or is this a bug in nova-compute?

image_properties_default_architecture is only used in the scheduler
filter to pick a compute host, it doesn't do anything about the qemu
binary used in nova-compute. mnaser added the config option so maybe he
can share what he's done on his computes.

Do you have qemu-system-x86_64 on non-x86 systems? Seems like a
package/deploy issue since I'd expect x86 packages shouldn't install on
a ppc system and vice versa, and only one qemu package should provide
the binary.

Matt