[Openstack-operators] Ironic post-deploy cleanup change backport

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:00:12 UTC 2018

Greetings everyone,

We in the Ironic community have recently been discussing back porting
a bug fix[1] to stable/queens which addresses cases where where a
baremetal node is prevented from being able to be deployed due to an
orphaned VIF (neutron port) record in ironic.

Under normal circumstances, Nova removes the records from Ironic when
removing an instance. We found that in some cases, this might not
always succeed due to extended locking of a bare metal node undergoing
cleaning. Typically we've seen this where IPMI BMCs do not immediately
replying to power actions.

Our fix adds the logic to ironic itself to go ahead and clean-up
neutron port attachment records when we are un-deploying a baremetal
node.

For users of Ironic through nova, there is no difference.

For users of ironic where they are directly interacting with ironic's
API, and where the environment also utilizes Neutron, there is a
slight behavior difference in that the `openstack baremetal node vif
detach` will not be needed after un-deploying a baremetal node. This
also means that the attachment will need to be re-added if the node is
being deployed manually.

Please let us know if there are any questions or concerns. We have not
yet merged this back-port patch, but feel that the benefit to it
greatly out-weighs the negative impact.

-Julia

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/562314/