[Openstack-operators] [all] How to handle python3 only projects

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Apr 17 06:10:25 UTC 2018

Hello devs,

The python27 clock of doom ticks closer to zero
(https://pythonclock.org/) and officially dropping python27 support is
going to have to happen eventually, that though is a bigger topic.

Before we get there outright what we should think about is what place
python3 only projects have in OpenStack alongside ones that support both.

Given that python27's life is nearing the end, we should probably
support a project either transitioning to only python3 or new projects
that are only python3. Not to mention the potential inclusion of python3
only libraries in global-requirements.

Potentially we should even encourage python3 only projects, and
encourage deployers and distro providers to focus on python3 only (do
we?). Python3 only projects are now a reality, python3 only libraries
are now a reality, and most of OpenStack already supports python3. Major
libraries are dropping python27 support in newer versions, and we should
think about how we want to do it too.

So where do projects that want to stop supporting python27 fit in the
OpenStack ecosystem? Or given the impending end of python27, why should
new projects be required to support it at all, or should we heavily
encourage new projects to be python3 only (if not require it)?

It's not an easy topic, and there are likely lots of opinions on the
matter, but it's something to start considering.

Cheers!

- Adrian Turjak