[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] RFC: Next minimum libvirt / QEMU versions for "Stein" release

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 10:07:14 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 10:32:13PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:

Hey Zigo, thanks for the detailed response; a couple of comments below.

[...]

> backport of libvirt/QEMU/libguestfs more in details
>
> I already attempted the backports from Debian Buster to Stretch.
>
> All of the 3 components (libvirt, qemu & libguestfs) could be built
> without extra dependency, which is a very good thing.
>
> - libvirt 4.1.0 compiled without issue, though the dh_install phase
> failed with this error:
>
> dh_install: Cannot find (any matches for) "/usr/lib/*/wireshark/" (tried
> in "." and "debian/tmp")
> dh_install: libvirt-wireshark missing files: /usr/lib/*/wireshark/
> dh_install: missing files, aborting

That seems like a problem in the Debian packaging system, not in
libvirt.  I double-checked with the upstream folks, and the install
rules for Wireshark plugin doesn't have /*/ in there.

> - qemu 2.11 built perfectly with zero change.
>
> - libguestfs 1.36.13 only needed to have fdisk replaced by util-linux as
> build-depends (fdisk is now a separate package in Buster).

Great.

Note: You don't even have to build the versions from 'Buster', which are
quite new.  Just the slightly more conservative libvirt 3.2.0 and QEMU
2.9.0 -- only if it's possbile.

[...]

> Conclusion:
> -----------
>
> If you don't absolutely need new features from libvirt 3.2.0 and 3.0.0
> is fine, please choose 3.0.0 as minimum.
>
> If you don't absolutely need new features from qemu 2.9.0 and 2.8.0 is
> fine, please choose 2.8.0 as minimum.
>
> If you don't absolutely need new features from libguestfs 1.36 and 1.34
> is fine, please choose 1.34 as minimum.
>
> If you do need these new features, I'll do my best adapt. :)

Sure, can use the 3.0.0 (& QEMU 2.8.0), instead of 3.2.0, as we don't
want to "penalize" (that was never the intention) distros with slightly
older versions.

That said ... I just spent comparing the release notes of libvirt 3.0.0
and libvirt 3.2.0[1][2].  By using libvirt 3.2.0 and QEMU 2.9.0, Debian users
will be spared from a lot of critical bugs (see all the list in [3]) in
CPU comparision area.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-announce/2017-April/msg00000.html
    -- Release of libvirt-3.2.0
[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-announce/2017-January/msg00003.html