[Openstack-operators] nova-placement-api tuning

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 16:14:31 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM, iain MacDonnell
<iain.macdonnell at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 03/29/2018 02:13 AM, Belmiro Moreira wrote:
>>
>> Some lessons so far...
>> - Scale keystone accordingly when enabling placement.
>

> Speaking of which; I suppose I have the same question for keystone
> (currently running under httpd also). I'm currently using threads=1, based
> on this (IIRC):
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/puppet-keystone/+bug/1602530
>
> but I'm not sure if that's valid?
>
> Between placement and ceilometer feeding gnocchi, keystone is kept very
> busy.
>
> Recommendations for processes/threads for keystone? And any other tuning
> hints... ?

So this is/was valid. A few years back there was some perf tests done
with various combinations of process/threads and for Keystone it was
determined that threads should be 1 while you should adjust the
process count (hence the bug). Now I guess the question is for every
service what is the optimal configuration but I'm not sure there's
anyone who's looking at this in the upstream for all the services.  In
the puppet modules for consistency we applied a similar concept for
all the services when they are deployed under apache.  It can be tuned
as needed for each service but I don't think we have any great
examples of perf numbers. It's really a YMMV thing. We ship a basic
default that isn't crazy, but it's probably not optimal either.

Thanks,
-Alex