[Openstack-operators] [tripleo] Making containerized service deployment the default

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 19:04:40 UTC 2017

Hey ops & devs,

We talked about containers extensively at the PTG and one of the items
that needs to be addressed is that currently we still deploy the
services as bare metal services via puppet. For Queens we would like
to switch the default to be containerized services.  With this switch
we would also start the deprecation process for deploying services as
bare metal services via puppet.  We still execute the puppet
configuration as part of the container configuration process so the
code will continue to be leveraged but we would be investing more in
the continual CI of the containerized deployments and reducing the
traditional scenario coverage.

As we switch over to containerized services by default, we would also
begin to reduce installed software on the overcloud images that we
currently use.  We have an open item to better understand how we can
switch away from the golden images to a traditional software install
process during the deployment and make sure this is properly tested.
In theory it should work today by switching the default for
EnablePackageInstall[0] to true and configuring repositories, but this
is something we need to verify.

If anyone has any objections to this default switch, please let us know.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/puppet/services/tripleo-packages.yaml#L33-L36