[Openstack-operators] OSA upgrading Ubuntu14.04 Newton to Ubuntu16.04 Ocata

Grant Morley grant at absolutedevops.io
Wed Oct 4 14:42:59 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Just have a quick question regarding upgrading from Newton to Ocata
using OSA. We have a small installation ( 4 compute. 3 management, 2
network and some Ceph storage nodes ) And we are looking to upgrade from
Ubuntu 14.04 Newton to Ubuntu 16.04 Ocata.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to do this at all? We are not sure
whether it is best to decommission a single node at a time, upgrade that
to Ubuntu 16.04 and then get Ocata installed onto that. Or whether there
is a better method at all?

We are conscious that if we bootstrap our ansible deployer machine for
Ocata, it will then not be able to manage the nodes that are running
14.04 Newton we assume?

Another thing we were thinking was to possibly get some more kit and
just install Ocata from scratch on that and start to migrate customers
over, but again we assume would need a separate deployer to do so?.

We would prefer to be able to upgrade both the OS for Ubuntu and
Openstack to Ocata using our current set up and just wondered if this
was even possible with OSA? Unfortunately we do not have the budget to
simply keep on getting more and more kit, so we have to be quite tactile
about how we do things.

We are going to test this on our dev environment and see what breaks,
but just wondered if anyone here has come across this already and
suffered the pain :)

Many thanks,

--
Grant Morley