[Openstack-operators] [nova] Should we allow passing new user_data during rebuild?

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Tue Oct 3 20:19:27 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 01:00:13PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:

:It's worth noting that AD and Kerberos were definitely not designed
:for clouds that have short lived VMs, so it does not surprise me that
:treating VMs as cattle and then putting them in AD would confuse it.

For instances we have that need Kerberos keytabs we specify the fixed
IP. This works in our OpenStack where it's our IP space so PTR record also
matches, not so well in public cloud where we can reserve an IP and
set forward DNS but not control its reverse mapping.

-Jon

:Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2017-10-03 18:46:31 +0000:
:> We use rebuild when reverting with snapshots. Keeping the same IP and hostname avoids some issues with Active Directory and Kerberos.
:>
:> Tim
:>