[Openstack-operators] [nova] Should we allow passing new user_data during rebuild?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Oct 3 17:12:51 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2017-10-03 10:53:44 -0500:
> We plan on deprecating personality files from the compute API in a new
> microversion. The spec for that is here:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/509013/
>
> Today you can pass new personality files to inject during rebuild, and
> at the PTG we said we'd allow passing new user_data to rebuild as a
> replacement for the personality files.
>
> However, if the only reason one would need to pass personality files
> during rebuild is because we don't persist them during the initial
> server create, do we really need to also allow passing user_data for
> rebuild? The initial user_data is stored with the instance during
> create, and re-used during rebuild, so do we need to allow updating it
> during rebuild?

My personal opinion is that rebuild is an anti-pattern for cloud, and
should be frozen and deprecated. It does nothing but complicate Nova
and present challenges for scaling.

That said, if it must stay as a feature, I don't think updating the
user_data should be a priority. At that point, you've basically created an
entirely new server, and you can already do that by creating an entirely
new server.