[Openstack-operators] ANNOUNCE: Self-healing SIG officially formed (fwd)

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Mon Nov 27 14:32:42 UTC 2017

As per below, I'm happy to announce that the Self-healing SIG is now
officially formed.  For now, all discussions will happen on
<openstack-sigs at lists.openstack.org>, so please subscribe to that list
if you are interested in this topic!

Cheers,
Adam

----- Forwarded message from Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> -----

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:19:25 +0000
From: Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com>
To: OpenStack SIGs list <openstack-sigs at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: [Openstack-sigs] [meta] [self-healing] ANNOUNCE: Self-healing SIG officially formed

TL;DR: the self-healing SIG is officially formed!  Watch the openstack-sigs
mailing list for future developments.

A longer version of this announcement can be found at

   https://blog.adamspiers.org/2017/11/24/announcing-openstacks-self-healing-sig/

A SIG is born!
--------------

After an unofficial kick-off meeting at the last PTG in Denver, I proposed the
creation of a new self-healing SIG:

   http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-sigs/2017-September/000054.html

At the recent Summit in Sydney, we had a Forum session around 30 people attend
the Sydney Forum session, which was extremely encouraging! You can read more
details in the etherpad, but here is the quick summary ...

Most importantly, we resolved the naming and scoping issues, concluding that
to avoid biting off too much in one go, it was better to be pragmatic and
start small:

 - Initially focus on cloud infrastructure, and not worry too much
   about the user-facing impact of failures yet; we can add that
   concern whenever it makes sense (which is particularly relevant
   for telcos / NFV).

 - Not worry too much about optimization initially; Watcher is
   possibly the only project focusing on this right now, and again we
   can expand to include optimization any time we want.

Now that the naming and scoping issues are resolved, I am excited to announce
that the Self-healing SIG is officially formed!

Discussion went beyond mere administravia, however:

 - We collected a few initial use cases.

 - We informally decided the governance of the SIG. I asked if anyone
   else would like to assume leadership, but noone seemed keen,
   dashing my hopes of avoiding extra work ;-)  But Eric Kao, PTL of
   Congress, generously offered to act as co-chair.

 - We discussed health check APIs, which were mentioned in at least 2
   or 3 other Forum sessions this time round.

 - We agreed that we wanted an IRC channel, and that it could host
   bi-weekly meetings. However as usual there was no clean solution
   to choosing a time which would suit everyone ;-/  I'll try to
   figure out what to do about this!

Get involved

   and watch out watch out for posts tagged =[self-healing]=.

 - Bookmark https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Self-healing_SIG
   which is the SIG's official home.

Next steps
----------

I will set up the IRC channel, and see if we can make progress on agreeing
times for regular IRC meetings.

Other than this administravia, it is of course up to the community to decide
in which direction the SIG should go, but my suggestions are:

 - Continue to collect use cases.  It makes sense to have a very
   lightweight process for this (at least, initially), so Eric has
   created a Google Doc and populated it with a suggested template and
   a first example:

     https://docs.google.com/document/d/13N36g2RlUYs8mw7hbfRXw6y2Jc-V2XGrXgfPXPpUvuU/edit?usp=sharing

   Feel free to add your own based on this template.

 - Collect links to any existing documentation or other resources which
   describe how existing services can be combined.  This awesome talk
   on Advanced Fault Management with Vitrage and Mistral is a perfect
   example:

       https://www.openstack.org/videos/sydney-2017/advanced-fault-management-with-vitrage-and-mistral

   and here is another:

       https://www.openstack.org/videos/barcelona-2016/building-self-healing-applications-with-aodh-zaqar-and-mistral

   but we need to make it easier for operators to understand which
   combinations like this are possible, and easier for them to be set
   up.

 - Finish the architecture diagram drafted in Denver:

     https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1kEFtVpQ4c8HipSp34EVAkcSGmwyg1MzWf_H5oGTtl-Y/edit?usp=sharing

 - At a higher level, we could document reference stacks which address
   multiple self-healing cases.

 - Talk more with the OPNFV community to find out what capabilities
   they have which could be reused within non-NFV OpenStack clouds.

 - Perform gaps analysis on the use cases, and liase with specific
   projects to drive development in directions which can address those
   gaps.