[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 16:30:59 UTC 2017

Hi all - please note this conversation has been split variously across
-dev and -operators.

One small observation from the discussion so far is that it seems as
though there are two issues being discussed under the one banner:
1) maintain old releases for longer
2) do stable releases less frequently

It would be interesting to understand if the people who want longer
maintenance windows would be helped by #2.

On 14 November 2017 at 09:25, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Bogdan Dobrelya's message of 2017-11-14 17:08:31 +0100:
>> >
>> > What is the most worrying is the exact "take over" process. Does it mean that
>> > the teams will give away the +2 power to a different team? Or will our (small)
>> > stable teams still be responsible for landing changes? If so, will they have to
>> > learn how to debug 3rd party CI jobs?
>> >
>> > Generally, I'm scared of both overloading the teams and losing the control over
>> > quality at the same time :) Probably the final proposal will clarify it..
>>
>> The quality of backported fixes is expected to be a direct (and only?)
>> interest of those new teams of new cores, coming from users and
>> operators and vendors. The more parties to establish their 3rd party
>
> We have an unhealthy focus on "3rd party" jobs in this discussion. We
> should not assume that they are needed or will be present. They may be,
> but we shouldn't build policy around the assumption that they will. Why
> would we have third-party jobs on an old branch that we don't have on
> master, for instance?
>
>> checking jobs, the better proposed changes communicated, which directly
>> affects the quality in the end. I also suppose, contributors from ops
>> world will likely be only struggling to see things getting fixed, and
>> not new features adopted by legacy deployments they're used to maintain.
>> So in theory, this works and as a mainstream developer and maintainer,
>> you need no to fear of losing control over LTS code :)
>>
>> Another question is how to not block all on each over, and not push
>> contributors away when things are getting awry, jobs failing and merging
>> is blocked for a long time, or there is no consensus reached in a code
>> review. I propose the LTS policy to enforce CI jobs be non-voting, as a
>> first step on that way, and giving every LTS team member a core rights
>> maybe? Not sure if that works though.
>
> I'm not sure what change you're proposing for CI jobs and their voting
> status. Do you mean we should make the jobs non-voting as soon as the
> branch passes out of the stable support period?
>
> Regarding the review team, anyone on the review team for a branch
> that goes out of stable support will need to have +2 rights in that
> branch. Otherwise there's no point in saying that they're maintaining
> the branch.
>
> Doug

Cheers,
~Blairo