[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [upgrades][skip-level][leapfrog] - RFC - Skipping releases when upgrading

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Fri May 26 19:19:48 UTC 2017

I've mentioned this elsewhere but writing here for posterity...

Making N to N+1 upgrades seamless and work well is already challenging
today which is one of the reasons why people aren't upgrading in the
first place.
Making N to N+1 upgrades work as well as possible already puts a great
strain on developers and resources, think about the testing and CI
involved in making sure things really work.

My opinion is that of upgrades were made out to be a simple, easy and
seamless operation, it wouldn't be that much of a problem to upgrade
from N to N+3 by upgrading from release to release (three times) until
you've caught up.
But then, if upgrades are awesome, maybe operators won't be lagging 3
releases behind anymore.

David Moreau Simard

dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]