[Openstack-operators] Routed provider networks...

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Tue May 23 22:31:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Chris Marino <chris at romana.io> wrote:

> Hello operators, I will be talking about the new routed provider network
> <https://docs.openstack.org/ocata/networking-guide/config-routed-networks.html>
> features in OpenStack at a Meetup
> <https://www.meetup.com/openstack/events/239889735/>next week and would
> like to get a better sense of how provider networks are currently being
> used and if anyone has deployed routed provider networks?

We use provider networks to essentially take neutron-l3 out of the
equation. Generally they are shared on all compute hosts, but usually there
aren't huge numbers of computes.

I have not deployed routed provider networks yet, but I think the premise
is great, and the /23 per rack is probably what we would do with routed
provider networks for multi-rack deployments. Combining routed provider
networks with Cells V2 (not sure if the two work together well, and once
Cells V2 is completely done) could be quite powerful IMHO.

> A typical L2 provider network is deployed as VLANs to every host. But
> curious to know how how many hosts or VMs an operator would allow on this
> network before you wanted to split into segments? Would you split hosts
> between VLANs, or trunk the VLANs to all hosts? How do you handle
> scheduling VMs across two provider networks?
>
> If you were to go with L3 provider networks, would it be L3 to the ToR, or
> L3 to the host?
>
> Are the new routed provider network features useful in their current form?
>
> Any experience you can share would be very helpful.
> CM

Blog: serverascode.com