[Openstack-operators] [nova][ironic][scheduler][placement] IMPORTANT: Getting rid of the automated reschedule functionality

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Tue May 23 20:15:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, 23 May 2017 20:58:20 +0100 (IST), Chris Dent wrote:

> If we're talking big crazy changes: Why not take the "small VM
> driver" (presumably nova-compute) out of Nova? What stays behind is
> _already_ orchestration but missing some features and having a fair
> few bugs.

I've suggested this a couple of times on the dev ML in replies to other
threads in the past. We could either build a new porcelain API fresh and
then whittle Nova down into a small VM driver or we could take the small
VM driver out of Nova and mold Nova into the porcelain API.

New porcelain API would be a fresh start to "do it right" and would
involve having people switch over to it. I think there would be
sufficient motivation for operators to take on the effort of deploying
it, considering there would be a lot of features their end users would
want to get.

Removing the small VM driver from Nova would allow people to keep using
what they know (Nova API) but would keep a lot of cruft with it. So I
would tend to favor a new porcelain API.

We really need one, like yesterday IMHO.

-melanie