[Openstack-operators] [nova][ironic][scheduler][placement] IMPORTANT: Getting rid of the automated reschedule functionality

Marc Heckmann marc.heckmann at ubisoft.com
Tue May 23 16:34:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 11:44 -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 05/23/2017 09:48 AM, Marc Heckmann wrote:
> > For the anti-affinity use case, it's really useful for smaller or
> > medium
> > size operators who want to provide some form of failure domains to
> > users
> > but do not have the resources to create AZ's at DC or even at rack
> > or
> > row scale. Don't forget that as soon as you introduce AZs, you need
> > grow those AZs at the same rate and have the same flavor offerings
> > across those AZs.
> >
> > For the retry thing, I think enough people have chimed in to echo
> > the
> > general sentiment.
>
> The purpose of my ML post was around getting rid of retries, not the
> usefulness of affinity groups. That seems to have been missed,
> however.
>
> Do you or David have any data on how often you've actually seen
> retries
> due to the last-minute affinity constraint violation in real world
> production?

No I don't have any data unfortunately. Mostly because we haven't
advertised the feature to end users yet. We only now are in a position
to do so because, previously there was a bug causing nova-scheduler to
grow in RAM usage if the required config flag to enable the feature was
 on.

I have however seen retry's triggered on hypervisors for other reasons.
I can try to dig up why specifically if that would be useful. I will
add that we do not use Ironic at all.

-m