[Openstack-operators] Routed provider networks...

Kevin Benton kevin at benton.pub
Tue May 23 04:12:52 UTC 2017

The operators that were asking for the spec were using private IP space and
that is probably going to be the most common use case for routed networks.
Splitting a /21 up across the entire data center isn't really something you
would want to do because you would run out of IPs quickly like you
mentioned.

The use case routed networks is almost exactly like your Romana project.
For example, you have a large chunk of IPs (e.g. 10.0.0.0/16) and you've
setup the infrastructure so each rack gets a /23 with the ToR as the
gateway which would buy you 509 VMs across 128 racks.