[Openstack-operators] Successful nova-network to Neutron Migration

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Sat May 20 16:51:07 UTC 2017

Hi all,

There probably aren't a lot of people in this situation nowadays, but for
those that are, I wanted to report a successful nova-network to Neutron
migration.

We used NeCTAR's migration scripts which can be found here:

https://github.com/NeCTAR-RC/novanet2neutron

These scripts allowed us to do an in-place upgrade with almost no downtime.
There was probably an hour or two of network downtime, but all instances
stayed up and running. There were also a handful of instances that needed a
hard reboot and some that had to give up their Floating IP to Neutron. All
acceptable, IMO.

We modified them to suit our environment, specifically by adding support
for IPv6 and Floating IPs. In addition, we leaned on our existing Puppet
environment to deploy certain  Nova and Neutron settings in phases.

But we wouldn't have been able to do this migration without these scripts,
so to Sam and the rest of the NeCTAR crew: thank you all very much!

Joe