[Openstack-operators] [neutron] Modify Default Quotas

Pierre Riteau priteau at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 23 23:46:04 UTC 2017

We’ve encountered the same issue in our cloud. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was quite common for systems with many tenants that are not active all the time.

You may be interested by this OSOps script: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/osops-tools-generic/tree/neutron/orphan_tool/delete_orphan_floatingips.py
The downside with this script is that it may delete a floating IP that was just allocated, if it runs just before the user attaches it to their instance.

We have chosen to write a script that releases floating IPs held by tenants only if the tenant is inactive for a period of time. We define inactive by not having run any instance during this period.
It is not a silver bullet though, because a tenant running only one instance can still keep 49 floating IPs unused, but we found that it helps a lot because most of the unused IPs were held by inactive tenants.

Ideally Neutron would be able to track when a floating IP was last attached and release it automatically after a configurable period of time.