[Openstack-operators] Flavors

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:06:28 UTC 2017

There have been previous proposals (and if memory serves, even some
blueprints) for API extensions to allow this but they have apparently
stagnated. On the face of it I think OpenStack should support this (more
choice = win!) - doesn't mean that every cloud needs to use the feature. Is
it worth trying to resurrect some feature development around this? Sounds
like a potential forum session? We have already seen responses here from a
number of active and prominent operators, some seem to be quite emotive,
which could indicate this hits on some sore-points/bugbears.

Some comments about points raised already in this thread...

Statement: makes pricing hard because users can monopolise a subset of
infrastructure resource dimensions (e.g. memory, disk IOPs) leading to some
dimensions (e.g. CPU) being underutilised.
Comment: it may exacerbate the problem if users can request resource
dimensions with no limits or dependencies imposed, but that problem
typically already exists to some extent in any general-purpose deployment -
as others have mentioned they mostly find themselves constrained by memory.
That does not seem like a hard problem to workaround, e.g., dimensions
could have both absolute lower and upper bounds plus dynamic bounds based
on the setting of other dimensions.

Statement: breaks bin packing / have to match flavor dimensions to hardware
dimensions.
Comment: neither of these ring true to me given that most operators tend to
agree that memory is there first constraining resource dimension and it is
difficult to achieve high CPU utilisation before memory is exhausted. Plus
virtualisation is inherently about resource sharing and over-provisioning,
unless you have very detailed knowledge of your workloads a priori (or some
cycle-stealing/back-filling mechanism) you will always have
under-utilisation (possibly quite high on average) in some resource
dimensions.

Other thoughts...

A feature such as this also opens up the interesting possibility of
soft/fuzzy resource requests, which could be very useful in a private (i.e.
constrained) cloud environment, e.g., "give me an instance with 2-4 cores
and 8-16GB RAM and at least 500 IOPs".

Some of the statements in this thread also lend credence to the need for a
way to provide preemptible instances which would provide one way to
back-fill compute/cpu based resources.

Cheers,

Cheers,
~Blairo