[Openstack-operators] Flavors

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:52:57 UTC 2017

I have always hated flavors and so do many of my users.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 03:22:48PM -0700, James Downs wrote:
:On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:10:00PM +0000, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
:> I think the really short answer is something like: It greatly simplifies scheduling and billing.
:
:The real answer is that once you buy hardware, it's in a fixed radio of CPU/Ram/Disk/IOPS, etc.

This while apparently reasonable is BS (at least in private cloud
space).  What users request and what they actualy use are wildly
divergent.

*IF* usage of claimed resorces were at or near optimal then this might
be true .  But if people are claiming 32G of ram because that how much
you assigned to a 16 vCPU instance type but really just need 16
threads with 2G or 4G then you packing still sucks.

I'm mostly bound on memory so I mostly have my users select on that
basis and over provide and over provision CPU since that can be
effectively shared between VMs where memory needs to be dedicated
(well mostly)

I'm sure I've ranted abotu this before but as you see from other
the walls while my office mates look on perplexed (actually they're
pretty used to it by now and ignore me :) )

-Jon