[Openstack-operators] need input on log translations

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 07:07:38 UTC 2017

> Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-03-10 09:38:43 -0500:
>> There is a discussion on the -dev mailing list about the i18n team
>> decision to stop translating log messages [1]. The policy change means
>> that we may be able to clean up quite a lot of "clutter" throughout the
>> service code, because without anyone actually translating the messages
>> there is no need for the markup code used to tag those strings.
>>
>> If we do remove the markup from log messages, we will be effectively
>> removing "multilingual logs" as a feature. Given the amount of work
>> and code churn involved in the first roll out, I would not expect
>> us to restore that feature later.
>>
>> Therefore, before we take what would almost certainly be an
>> irreversible action, we would like some input about whether log
>> message translations are useful to anyone. Please let us know if
>> you or your customers use them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Doug
>>
>> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113365.html
>>

> We've heard from several European operators on this thread, and their
> input makes it clear that log translations are not useful to them.
>
> IIRC, the translation feature was originally added for some of our APAC
> users. Is anyone from APAC actively using the feature?

As a former Japanese Language team coordinator,
I can say Japanese OpenStack operators are not interested in using
translated version of log messages.
I made a quick survey on translations in OpenStack Days Tokyo two
years ago (2015).
There were around 300~400 attendees and nobody raised hands for log
translations.
(I am not sure how many operators were there, but I saw at least
several major OpenStack operators in Japan.)

Akihiro