[Openstack-operators] Flavors

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Thu Mar 16 03:42:03 UTC 2017

So how do you bill for someone when you have a 24 core, 256GB ram, with 3TB of disk machine - and someone creates a 1 core, 512MB ram, 2.9TB disk – flavor?  Are you going to charge them same amount as if they created a 24 core, 250GB instances with 1TB of disk?  Because both of those flavors make it practically impossible to use that hardware for another VM.  Thus, to you they have exactly the same cost.

With free-for all flavor sizes your bin packing goes to shit and you are left with inefficiently used hardware.  With free for all flavor sizes how can you make sure that your large ram instances go to sku’s optimized to handle those large ram VM’s?

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy