[Openstack-operators] Trove in production

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Mar 15 17:00:24 UTC 2017

We've run it in a test cloud meant to identify production issues before supporting them on our production cloud.

We ran into a few issues that may or may not apply in your situation:

There's a security issue with the Trove Rabbitmq. The easiest way around it is to use the feature that lets the vm's run in a trove tenant rather then the users tenant. Depending on your environment, this can cause other problems with quota's/billing/restricted flavors though. We have not been able to deploy it in production due to these restrictions tied in with the security issue.

Another pain point for us was management of the guest agents. We upgraded our control plane for Trove, and all the existing guest agents in the vm's broke on us.

A third issue was incompatibility with the radosgw. Trove functionality relies on namespacing working right and at the time radosgw didnt fully support it. I think that may be fixed in Jewel, but haven't had a chance to confirm the issue is resolved, so there may be other issues.

Thanks,
Kevin