[Openstack-operators] nova mitaka->newton online_data_migrations

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 15:30:05 UTC 2017

On 3/7/2017 3:12 AM, Belmiro Moreira wrote:
> Hi Saverio,
> when not using "max_count" the message "Running batches of 50 until
> complete" is always printed.
> If you are not getting any error and no more output the migrations
> should have finished.
>
> Unfortunately, there is not such message "All Done" when
> the online_data_migrations finish.
>
> You can check manually if everything was correctly migrated, looking
> into the DB.
> These methods are triggered by the "online_data_migrations":
>         db.pcidevice_online_data_migration
>         db.computenode_uuids_online_data_migration
>         db.aggregate_uuids_online_data_migration
>
> cheers,
>
> Belmiro
> CERN
>
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Saverio Proto <zioproto at gmail.com
> <mailto:zioproto at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello there,
>
>     before doing the upgrade, when still in Mitaka (tag 13.1.3), I am
>     running the folllwing command:
>
>     nova-manage db online_data_migrations
>
>     I get this output:
>
>     Option "verbose" from group "DEFAULT" is deprecated for removal.  Its
>     value may be silently ignored in the future.
>     Option "notification_topics" from group "DEFAULT" is deprecated. Use
>     option "topics" from group "oslo_messaging_notifications".
>     Running batches of 50 until complete
>
>     I always get the same output.
>      I also tried :
>     nova-manage db online_data_migrations --max-count 5000
>
>     In this case I only get the warnings about the option without 'Running
>     batches of 50 until complete'.
>
>     When I do not use max-count I will always get 'Running batches of 50
>     until complete'.
>
>     How do I understand when all the online_data_migrations are done ?
>
>     I never get anything printed like 'all done'.
>
>     thank you
>
>     Saverio

Also, the command exits with 1 if anything was migrated and 0 if nothing
was migrated, meaning it's done.

We could use a man page for this command and it's usage, I'll open a bug
in nova for that.

Thanks for the feedback and questions on usage. Without questions like
this we don't know what issues people are having with the tools we provide.

Matt Riedemann