[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [all][tc] Turning TC/UC workgroups into OpenStack SIGs

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 00:25:22 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>     > I created at the Forum[1]).
>>
>>     I feel like most groups should be inclusive of all community, so I'd
>>     rather see the SIGs being the default, and ops-specific or
>> dev-specific
>>     groups the exception. To come back to my Public Cloud WG example, you
>>     need to have devs and ops in the same group in the first place before
>>     you would spin-up a "address scalability" SIG. Why not just have a
>>     Public Cloud SIG in the first place?
>>

>> +1, I interpreted originally that each use-case would be a SIG versus the
>> SIG being able to be segment oriented (in which multiple use-cases could be
>> pursued)
>>

>>      > [...]
>>     > Finally, how will this change impact the ATC/AUC status of the SIG
>>     > members for voting rights in the TC/UC elections?
>>
>>     There are various options. Currently you give UC WG leads the AUC
>>     status. We could give any SIG lead both statuses. Or only give the AUC
>>     status to a subset of SIGs that the UC deems appropriate. It's really
>> an
>>     implementation detail imho. (Also I would expect any SIG lead to
>> already
>>     be both AUC and ATC somehow anyway, so that may be a non-issue).
>>

>> We can discuss this later because it really is an implementation detail.
>> Thanks for the answers.
>>

>>     --
>>     Thierry Carrez (ttx)

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Shamail Tahir
>> t: @ShamailXD
>> tz: Eastern Time

> I think a key point you're going to want to convey and repeat ad nauseum
> with this SIG idea is that each SIG is focused on a specific use case and
> they can be spun up and spun down. Assuming that's what you want them to be.
>
> One problem I've seen with the various work groups is they overlap in a
> lot of ways but are probably driven as silos. For example, how many
> different work groups are there that care about scaling? So rather than
> have 5 work groups that all overlap on some level for a specific issue,
> create a SIG for that specific issue so the people involved can work on
> defining the specific problem and work to come up with a solution that can
> then be implemented by the upstream development teams, either within a
> single project or across projects depending on the issue. And once the
> specific issue is resolved, close down the SIG.

> Examples here would be things that fall under proposed community wide
> goals for a release, like running API services under wsgi, py3 support,
> moving policy rules into code, hierarchical quotas, RBAC "admin of admins"
> policy changes, etc. Have a SIG that is comprised of people with different
> roles (project managers, product managers, operators, developers, docs, QA)
> that are focused on solving that one specific issue and drive it, and then
> close it down once some completion criteria is met.

A SIG possibly should continue to exist for something like scaling, as it
will more than likely not have been created for a defined work dealing with
scaling but rather scaling itself which a number of work items would come
out of.

That still doesn't mean you're going to get the attendance you need from
> all parties. I don't know how you solve that one. People are going to work
> on what they are paid to work on.

Part of the resolution SIGs can assist with in getting folks to attend,
getting paid or not, are a number of outcomes from SIGs, well thought out
feature requests (PjMs), understanding of what should/should not/can/can
not be done (DEVs), why it makes sense to resolve one or more should/can
nots (OPs), resources to speed time to resolution (PrMs), single point of
discussion (ALL), etc, etc. Possibly when folks see that rather than
spending 100% of their resources on a work item that load can be shared and
there is a simple way to determine so by participating in a SIG that will
help as well.

> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman at gmail.com
mobile: (832) 264-2646

Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command