[Openstack-operators] Leveraging Gnocchi in Mitaka

Tracy Comstock Roesler tracycomstock at overstock.com
Fri Jun 23 18:50:58 UTC 2017

We’ve been using gnocchi in mitaka for a few months now but we’ve run into some issues with performance, predominantly because of the number of data points sent along rabbitmq.

We’ve tried to bypass rabbit, but  configuring our pipeline.yaml to push to 'gnocchi://' hasn’t failed.  Do you think we’d have better luck with 'direct://', or is it just not possible?

I’ve also seen emails about potentially updating/backporting the dispatcher code while using a gnocchi 2.1 installation.  Is this a safe method?  I’m guessing by upgrading the dispatching code, I can resolve the problem of having to publish our stuff to rabbit.

>yes, you can use gnocchi v2 with mitaka. you should have
>gnocchiclient<3.0.0 for it to work.

>truthfully, you should try to backport the dispatcher code from a newer
>version as the newer gnocchi releases are still compatible with older
>ceilometer versions (it just has different integration code). i'm not
>sure gnocchi v2 is performant and you'll avoid the upgrade between
>gnocchi v2->v3 which is required for newton.

>people have had success backporting code found here:
>https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/tree/stable/ocata/ceilometer/dispatcher

I’m trying to resolve a backlog issue we’re having because we leverage gnocchi and metricd for canary instances as elastic scaling of nodes.