[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [all][tc][uc] Turning TC/UC workgroups into OpenStack SIGs

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:50:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Shamail Tahir <itzshamail at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the past, governance has helped (on the UC WG side) to reduce
> overlaps/duplication in WGs chartered for similar objectives. I would like
> to understand how we will handle this (if at all) with the new SIG proposa?
> Also, do we have to replace WGs as a concept or could SIG augment them? One
> suggestion I have would be to keep projects on the TC side and WGs on the
> UC side and then allow for spin-up/spin-down of SIGs as needed for
> accomplishing specific goals/tasks (picture of a  diagram I created at the
> Forum[1]).

We currently have WGs that overlap for specific objectives - like
scalability - and having a Scalability SIG could be more efficient rather
than the objective existing in multiple WGs who still have to gather
resources to address the objective. Spin up/down would still happen though
a SIG would generally live longer, like UC teams, depending on the special
interest.

> The WGs could focus on defining key objectives for users of a shared group
> (market vertical like Enterprise or Scientific WG, horizontal function like
> PWG) and then SIGs could be created based on this list to accomplish the
> objective and spin-down. Similarly a project team could determine a need to
> gather additional data/requirements or need help with a certain task could
> also spin-up a SIG to accomplish it (e.g. updating an outdated docs set,
> discussion on a specific spec that needs to be more thoroughly crafted,
> etc.)

SIGs like Documentation, Public Cloud, Scalability, make sense rather than
being created to address a more specific objective. A WG could spin off
from a SIG but does not seem reasonable for it to be the other way around
since the idea behind a working group is to work on something specific -
AUC Recognition - and then those members fold back into 0 or 1 SIG. I could
be off but I get the feeling that WGs can come together and find
commonality amongst each other within a SIG and get more accomplished and
possibly quicker by aggregating resources around what they already share
interest in.

> Finally, how will this change impact the ATC/AUC status of the SIG members
> for voting rights in the TC/UC elections?

Possibly AUC could go to all members of the SIGs and ATC or extra-ATC is
provided as it does not seem fair, though fair may be irrelevant or
relative, for UC elections to be wholly subjected to all SIG members and
not TC elections. I think, Shamail correct me if I am wrong, under AUC
guidelines all SIG members would qualify?

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman at gmail.com
mobile: (832) 264-2646

Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command