[Openstack-operators] [neutron] ML2/OVS dropping packets?

Stig Telfer stig.openstack at telfer.org
Wed Jun 21 16:35:02 UTC 2017

Hi Jon -

From what I understand, while you might have gone to the trouble of configuring a lossless data centre ethernet, that guarantee of packet loss ends at the hypervisor. OVS (and other virtual switches) will drop packets rather than exert back pressure.

I saw a useful paper from IBM Zurich on developing a flow-controlled virtual switch:

http://researcher.ibm.com/researcher/files/zurich-DCR/Got%20Loss%20Get%20zOVN.pdf <http://researcher.ibm.com/researcher/files/zurich-DCR/Got%20Loss%20Get%20zOVN.pdf>

It’s a bit dated (2013) but may still apply.

If you figure out a way of preventing this with modern OVS, I’d be very interested to know.

Best wishes,
Stig