[Openstack-operators] [deployment] [oslo] [ansible] [tripleo] [kolla] [helm] Configuration management with etcd / confd

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 16:08:36 UTC 2017

Following-up the session that we had in Boston:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-future-of-configuration-management

Here's an update on where we are and what is being done.

== Machine Readable Sample Config

Ben's spec has been merged: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440835/
And also the code which implements it: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/451081/
He's now working on the documentation on how to use the feature.

$ oslo-config-generator --namespace keystone --formal yaml > keystone.yaml

Here's an example of the output for Keystone config: https://clbin.com/EAfFM
This feature was asked at the PTG, and it's already done!

== Pluggable drivers for oslo.config

Doug's spec has been well written and the feedback from Summit and the
review was taken in account: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/454897/
It's now paused because we think we could use confd (with etcd driver)
to generate configuration files.

Imagine the work done by Ben in Machine Readable Sample Config, that
would allow us to generate Confd templates for all services (Keystone,
Nova, etc) via a tool provided in oslo.config with all the options
available for a namespace.
We could have packaging builds (e.g. RDO distgit) using the tooling
when building packages so we could ship confd templates in addition of
ini configuration files.
When services would start (e.g. in containers), confd would generate
configuration files from the templates that is part of the container,
and read the values from etcd.

The benefit of doing this, is that a very little work is required in
oslo.config to make this happen (only a tool to generate confd
templates). It could be a first iteration.
Another benefit is that confd will generate a configuration file when
the application will start. So if etcd is down *after* the app
startup, it shouldn't break the service restart if we don't ask confd
to re-generate the config. It's good for operators who were concerned
about the fact the infrastructure would rely on etcd. In that case, we
would only need etcd at the initial deployment (and during lifecycle
actions like upgrades, etc).

The downside is that in the case of containers, they would still have
a configuration file within the container, and the whole goal of this
feature was to externalize configuration data and stop having
configuration files.

== What's next

I see 2 short-term actions that we can work on:

1) Decide if whether or not confd solution would be acceptable for a
start. I'm asking Kolla, TripleO, Helm, Ansible projects if they would
be willing to use this feature. I'm also asking operators to give
feedback on it.

2) Investigate how to expose parameters generated by Ben's work on
Machine Readable Sample Config to the users (without having to
manually maintain all options) - I think this has to be solved on the
installers side, but I might be wrong; and also investigate how to
populate parameters data into etcd. This tool could be provided by
oslo.config probably.

Any feedback from folks working on installers or from operators would
be more than welcome!

Emilien Macchi