[Openstack-operators] [cinder] Thoughts on cinder readiness

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu Jun 1 04:06:35 UTC 2017

Erik McCormick wrote:
> I've been running Ceph-backed Cinder since, I think, Icehouse. It's
> really more of a function of your backend or the hypervisor than Cinder
> itself. That being said, it's been probabky mt smallest Openstack pain
> point iver the years.
>
> I can't imagine what sort of concurrency issues you'd run into short of
> a large public cloud given that it really doesn't do much once
> provisioning a volume is complete. Maybe if you've got people taking a
> ton of snapshots? What sort of specific issues are you concerned about?

Mainly the ones that spawned articles/specs like:

https://gorka.eguileor.com/a-cinder-road-to-activeactive-ha/

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/cinder-specs/specs/mitaka/cinder-volume-active-active-support.html

And a few more like those, I'm especially not going to be a big fan of
having to (as a person, myself or others on the godaddy team) go in and
muck with volumes in stuck states and so-on (similar issues occur in
nova, which just drain the blood out of humans that have to go fix them).