[Openstack-operators] mission critical application in OpenStack, one region or multi-region

joehuang joehuang at huawei.com
Wed Jul 12 02:55:43 UTC 2017

Hello, operators,

If you have moved mission critical application to OpenStack cloud, it's running in one region or multi-region? Or if you plan to move your mission critical applications to OpenStack based cloud, what's your proposal to deploy the mission critical applications?

During OPNFV Beijing Summit, we have done a demo to deploy both vIMS(telecom application providing VoIP etc) and JITSI(video conference) in multiple OpenStack clouds, both applications achieve cloud level high availability in multi-region OpenStack cloud:
1) For vIMS, the application is active-active in two OpenStack cloud, the backend db Cassandra will sync the data through internal cross OpenStack L3 network (which was automated by OpenStack Tricircle project), the vIMS service can be accessed through FIP in each OpenStack cloud, and can see same data set. If vIMS is stopped in one OpenStack cloud, services can be continued in another OpenStack cloud.

2) For JITSI, the video bridges are running in two OpenStack clouds, and the heart-beat for video-bridges / control information to video bridges are through internal L2 network (which was automated by OpenStack Tricircle). Similar like vIMS, video streams for video conference will be handled by FIP in each OpenStack cloud respectively. If video-bridge is stopped in one OpenStack cloud, services can be continued in another OpenStack cloud.

I also found that similar deployment use case happened in AWS. So I wrote a blog to compare the deployments with what happened in AWS: "Doing better, "Moving Mission Critical Apps from One Region to Multi-Region" https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/moving-mission-critical-apps-from-one-region-joe-huang

Is this kind of deployment will be your favorite regarding to mission critical applications?

Today I read the thread "Tricircle" : http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2017-July/013914.html , therefore I would like to open a new title thread here to bring broader concerns and discussion for this topic.

Best Regards
Chaoyi Huang (joehuang)