[Openstack-operators] What would you like in Pike?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 17 02:19:32 UTC 2017

On 1/16/2017 4:45 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 1/16/2017 3:02 PM, Jonathan Bryce wrote:
>>
>> Matt, on the input on big ticket items, I’d love to get your feedback on
>> what is missing or you’d like to see more of in the Foundation reports
>> or Product Working Group roadmaps to make them more useful for these
>> kinds of items. Is this thread more consumable because specific
>> functionality is identified over themes? Is it the way it’s scoped to a
>> release? We could possibly even add in a similar question (“What would
>> you like to see in the next release?”) to the user survey if this is
>> info you’ve been looking for.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

> For me personally it's probably as simple as the communication medium. I
> monitor the openstack-dev and openstack-operators lists. I don't see
> Foundation reports or PWG roadmaps. I didn't know those existed, or
> where to look for them (I'm sure I could do some googling to find out).
> So if those are the things that are meant to feed into the development
> teams, or at least to me as Nova PTL, I wasn't aware of them. Maybe I'm
> the only terrible PTL that doesn't know about this.
>
> But at least compared to Newton, I had a few Foundation / TC people
> private messaging me on a semi-regular basis asking me about the status
> of the 'get me a network' effort and if I needed any help/resources with
> that, like dev/test/whatever. So there wasn't any formal communication I
> knew about that that was a priority for the Foundation, but I definitely
> got the message given the attention I was getting about it privately.

I just read through the blog post [1] about the upcoming Forum at the
summit. That might help things, at least that's the intent so I'd hope
it helps. We have had design summit sessions in the past where the nova
team asks for feedback from operators/users but those were generally not
well attended (we might get a handful of people). I had assumed the low
attendance was mostly due to scheduling conflicts and people just had
other places to be or more important sessions to attend, which is
understandable when you're trying to pack it all in at the summit.

[1] http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-forum/

Matt Riedemann