[Openstack-operators] What would you like in Pike?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Mon Jan 16 18:01:58 UTC 2017

> On 16 Jan 2017, at 18:00, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/14/2017 4:10 AM, Tim Bell wrote:
>>
>> o    Manual interventions are often required to sync the current usage
>> with the OpenStack view
>
> See this spec in nova in ocata:
>
> https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/ocata/approved/cells-count-resources-to-check-quota-in-api.html
>
> That is meant to redesign how nova handles quotas so we don't have the sync issues anymore.

Looks good to me. Pleased to see this is being spec’d out. Do you think it would make it into Pike?

>> o    Nested projects are now in Keystone but is limited support in other
>> projects for the end user benefit, such as delegation of quota for
>> sub-projects
>>

> We've heard that hierarchical quotas in cinder has some issues so the nova side has been hesitant to make that a priority until the cinder issues are fixed. This is going to be an item at the upcoming PTG since it seems like something that's bigger than nova or cinder and will need to be dealt with by the broader community to get it right, i.e. maybe the Arch WG needs to help out here?

Completely agreed. The problem of both the delegated permissions and quota needs a consistent implementation semantics across projects. Since this functionality will be delegated to a resource co-ordinator who may not have the same level of OpenStack knowledge as an admin, keeping the learning curve for this role as low as possible would be a worthwhile goal.

Tim