[Openstack-operators] status of encrypted volumes in RBDDriver (Cinder)

Adam Heczko aheczko at mirantis.com
Tue Feb 28 17:00:32 UTC 2017

Hi Evan, AFAIK Cinder doesn't support this and currently LUKS is only
supported for LVM volumes.
Qemu 2.6 release notes suggests that LUKS encryption is going to be merged
into future qemu releases.
http://wiki.qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.6#Future_incompatible_changes

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Evan Bollig PhD <boll0107 at umn.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have LUKS encrypted volumes running on Ceph RBD? I have
> not found any recent (2017) updates on whether this is functional.
> From what I understand, it was waiting for the release of QEMU 2.6.0
> (which is out now).
>
> If functional, what major/minor version of cinder is needed?
>
> Any updates on ephemeral storage encryption for RBD backed VMs?
>
> I see examples of encrypted OSD pools, registered as a cinder type
> with the name "encrypted", but this is not the same as having the
> front-end encrypted attribute.
>
> Cheers,
> -E
>
> --
> Evan F. Bollig, PhD
> Scientific Computing Consultant, Application Developer | Scientific
> Computing Solutions (SCS)
> Minnesota Supercomputing Institute | msi.umn.edu
> University of Minnesota | umn.edu
> boll0107 at umn.edu | 612-624-1447 | Walter Lib Rm 556

Adam Heczko
Security Engineer @ Mirantis Inc.