[Openstack-operators] [nova] Metadata service over virtio-vsock

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Feb 21 11:24:20 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Daniel P. Berrange's message of 2017-02-21 10:40:02 +0000:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 02:36:15PM -0500, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > What exactly is the security concern of the metadata service? Perhaps
> > those concerns can be addressed directly?
> >
> > I ask because anything that requires special software on the guest is
> > a non-starter IMO. virtio is a Linux thing, so what does this do for
> > users of Windows?  FreeBSD? etc.
>
> Red Hat is investing in creating virtio vsock drivers for Windows
> but I don't have an ETA for that yet. There's no work in *BSD in
> this area that I know of, but BSD does have support for virtio
> in general, so if virtio-vsock becomes used in any important
> places I would not be suprised if some BSD developers implemented
> vsock too.
>

> In any case, I don't think it neccessarily needs to be supported
> in every single possible scenario. The config drive provides the
> same data in a highly portable manner, albeit with the caveat
> about it being read-only. The use of metadata service (whether
> TCP or vsock based) is useful for cases needing the info from
> config drive to be dynamically updated - eg the role device
> tagging metadata. Only a very small subset of guests running on
> openstack actually use that data today. So it would not be the
> end of the world if some guests don't support vsock in the short
> to medium term - if the facility proves to be critically important
> to a wider range of guests that'll motivate developers of those
> OS to support it.

Cool, so there's a chance it gets to near ubiquitous usability.

However, I wonder, there's no need for performance here. Why not just
make it a virtual USB drive that ejects and re-attaches on changes? That
way you don't need Windows/BSD drivers.