[Openstack-operators] Please give your opinion about "openstack server migrate" command.

Rikimaru Honjo honjo.rikimaru at po.ntts.co.jp
Fri Feb 17 05:47:02 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I found and reported a unkind behavior of "openstack server migrate" command
when I maintained my environment.[1]
But, I'm wondering which solution is better.
Do you have opinions about following my solutions by operating point of view?
I will commit a patch according to your opinions if those are gotten.

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-openstackclient/+bug/1662755
---
[Actual]
If user run "openstack server migrate --block-migration <UUID>",
openstack client call Cold migration API.
"--block migration" option will be ignored if user don't specify "--live".

But, IMO, this is unkindly.
This cause unexpected operation for operator.

P.S.
"--shared-migration" option has same issue.

[Expect]
* Solution-1:
   Add check logic.
   If user specify "--block-migration" without "--live", openstack client
   won't call API and output warning message.

* Solution-2:
   Modify conditional branches.
   If user specify "--block-migration" or "--shared-migration" without
   "--live", openstackclient live/block-migrate servers.
---

Regards,
--
Rikimaru Honjo