[Openstack-operators] Case studies on Openstack HA architecture

Van Leeuwen, Robert rovanleeuwen at ebay.com
Mon Aug 28 06:32:17 UTC 2017

> Hi Openstack operators,
>
> Most Openstack HA deployment use 3 node database cluster, 3 node rabbitMQ cluster and 3 Controllers.
> I am wondering whether there are any studies done that show the pros and cons of co-locating database and messaging service with the Openstack control services.
> In other words, I am very interested in learning about advantages and disadvantages, in terms of ease of deployment,
> upgrade and overall API performance, of having 3 all-in-one Openstack controller over a more distributed deployment model.

In general, a host with less running services is easier to troubleshoot.
However, there is no fundamental issue with sharing mysql/rabbit on a single controller assuming the host is quick enough.

For the OpenStack API services I would highly recommend “splitting” things up.
It does not necessarily need to be on different physical hosts but at least use something to prevent package dependencies between the different OpenStack components (virtualenv/containers/vms).
If you do not do this it makes upgrades of an individual component on a node near impossible.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen