[Openstack-operators] [dnsmasq] setting ntp-server

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Fri Aug 18 23:13:10 UTC 2017

tldr; you have to use an IP address, not a DNS name, in the ntp-server
config.

In dhcp_agent.ini:

    dnsmasq_config_file = /etc/neutron/dnsmasq.conf

In /etc/neutron/dnsmasq.conf:

    dhcp-option=option:ntp-server,<ip_address>

I was trying to use a <dns_name> instead of an <ip_address> . The result
was that the floating IP was not being wired correctly. Packets were not
making it to the qr device. Not sure why.

But with an IP address, everything works and a
/var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp gets written. As long as the /etc/init.d/ntp
script looks for this file, everything is golden.

Carlos