[Openstack-operators] Experience with Cinder volumes as root disks?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Aug 1 16:09:44 UTC 2017

> >·What has been your experience with this; any advice?
>
> It works fine.  With Horizon you can do it in one step (select the image but
> tell it to boot from volume) but with the CLI I think you need two steps
> (make the volume from the image, then boot from the volume).  The extra
> steps are a moot point if you are booting programmatically (from a custom
> script or something like heat).

One thing to keep in mind when using Horizon for this - there's currently
no way in Horizon to specify the volume type you would like to use for
creating this boot volume. So it will always only use the default volume
type.

That may be fine if you only have one, but if you have multiple backends,
or multiple settings controlled by volume types, then you will probably
want to use the CLI method for creating your boot volumes.

There has been some discussion about creating a Nova driver to just use
Cinder for ephemeral storage. There are some design challenges with how
to best implement that, but if operators are interested, it would be
great to hear that at the Forum and elsewhere so we can help raise the
priority of that between teams.

Sean