[Openstack-operators] Experience with Cinder volumes as root disks?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Aug 1 15:55:15 UTC 2017

One other thing to think about - I think at least starting with the Mitaka
release, we added a feature called image volume cache. So if you create a
boot volume, the first time you do so it takes some time as the image is
pulled down and written to the backend volume.

With image volume cache enabled, that still happens on the first volume
creation of the image. But then any subsequent volume creations on that
backend for that image will be much, much faster.

This is something that needs to be configured. Details can be found here:

https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-image-volume-cache.html

Sean