[Openstack-operators] Experience with Cinder volumes as root disks?

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Tue Aug 1 15:32:31 UTC 2017

Hi Conrad,

We boot to ephemeral disk by default but our ephemeral disk is Ceph
RBD just like out cinder volumes.

Using Ceph for Cinder Volumes and Glance Images storage it is possible
to very quickly create new Persistent Volumes from Glance Images
becasue on the backend it's just a CoW snapshot operation (even though
we use seperate pools for ephemeral disk, persistent volumes, and
images). This is also what happens for ephemeral boting which is much
faster than copying image to local disk on hypervisor first so we get
quick starts and relatively easy live migrations (which we use for
maintenance like hypervisor reboots and reinstalls).

I don't know how to make it the "default" but ceph definately makes
it faster. Other backends I've used basicly mount the raw storage
volume download the imaage then 'dd' in into place which is
painfully slow.

As to why ephemeral rather than volume backed by default it's much
easier to boot amny copies of the same thing and be sure they're the
same using ephemeral storage and iamges or snapshots.  Volume backed
instances tend to drift.

That said workign in a research lab many of my users go for the more
"Pet" like persistent VM workflow.  We just manage it with docs and
education, though there is always someone who misses the red flashing
"ephemeral means it gets deleted when you turn it off" sign and is
sad.

-Jon