[Openstack-operators] Experience with Cinder volumes as root disks?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Aug 1 15:10:38 UTC 2017

On 08/01/2017 08:50 AM, Kimball, Conrad wrote:

> ·Are other operators routinely booting onto Cinder volumes instead of ephemeral
> storage?

It's up to the end-user, but yes.

> ·What has been your experience with this; any advice?

It works fine.  With Horizon you can do it in one step (select the image but
tell it to boot from volume) but with the CLI I think you need two steps (make
the volume from the image, then boot from the volume).  The extra steps are a
moot point if you are booting programmatically (from a custom script or
something like heat).

I think that generally speaking the default is to use ephemeral storage because
it's:

a) cheaper
b) "cloudy" in that if anything goes wrong you just spin up another instance

On the other hand, booting from volume does allow for faster migrations since it
avoids the need to transfer the boot disk contents as part of the migration.

Chris