[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators] [nova] cloud.cfg not applied

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Wed Apr 12 17:34:54 UTC 2017

I cannot get a simple cloud.cfg to be applied to a newly created
instance. This is the cloud.cfg: (sensitive info removed)

users:
  - name: default
  - name: ckonstanski
    groups: sudo
    shell: /bin/bash
    sudo: ['ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL']
    passwd: <my password hash taken from /etc/shadow>
    lock_passwd: False
    ssh-authorized-keys:
      - ssh-rsa <my ssh pubkey taken from ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub>

I'm not usually in the habit of setting passwords, but I had hoped that
perhaps it only the SSH pubkey part that wasn't working. Turns out none
of it works, the user isn't created at all.

I tried with a variety of OS images: gentoo, ubuntu 14.04, ubuntu 16.04,
centos 7. I downloaded official cloud images for all of these.

If I shell onto the instances and run:

curl http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/user-data

the cloud.cfg is returned.

I built this openstack according to the official newton install guide.

Looking for ways to troubleshoot this. What is the mechanism that gets
the cloud.cfg applied? Any info would be helpful, even a link.

Sincerely,

Carlos Konstanski