[Openstack-operators] Permission denied to create images

parmenides xparmenides at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 14:26:29 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am practicing how to install openstack in terms of the toturial from
the openstack official website. When creating image, I encountered a
problem concerning the permission to create image files. At first, the
'/var/lib/glance/images' directory was choosen to store image files. For
this case, everything is good. After a while, however, I think there
should be more space to store image files. So, I invorked 'fdisk' to
allocate a partition from the free space of hard disk. Then, a ext4 file
system was created in this new partition, and mounted at the
'/var/lib/glance/images' directory. When creating a image, the glance
service reported the following message:

503 Service Unavailable: Insufficient permissions on image storage
media: Permission to write image storage media denied. (HTTP 503)

With some advices from Internet, I change the owner and group of the
'/var/lib/glance/images' directory and its subdirectories using the
following command:

chown -R glance:glance /var/lib/glance/images

But, this practice does not have any effect. Any suggestion? Thanks in
advance.