[Openstack-operators] RFC: "next" min libvirt/qemu requirement for Pike release

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 18:12:36 UTC 2016

In the Newton release we increased the min required libvirt to 1.2.1
and min QEMU to 1.5.3 We did not set any "next" versions for Ocata,
so Ocata will not be changing.

I think we should consider increasing min versions in the Pike release
though to let us cut out more back-compatibility code for versions that
will be pretty obsolete by the time Pike is released.

I've put up this proposed change:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/377923/

Using this is as the guide:

   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix

It proposes  min libvirt 1.2.9 and min QEMU 2.1.0 These are the versions
present in Debian Jessie.

Out of the major distros currently supported by Ocata, this would eliminate
support for the following in Pike:

  - Ubuntu Trusty. Workaround: enable the "Cloud Archive" the addon
    repository, or upgrade to Ubuntu Xenial
  - SLES 12. Workaround: upgrade to 12SP1
  - RHEL 7.1. Workaround: upgrade to 7.2 or newer

There is one extra complication in that alot of upstream CI jobs currently
use Trusty VMs, although things are increasingly migrating to Xenial based
images. Clearly if we drop Trusty support in Nova for Pike, then the CI jobs
for Nova have to be fully migrated to Xenail by that time.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|