[Openstack-operators] Public cloud operators group in Barcelona

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 08:14:39 UTC 2016

Hi Matt,

I think your dot points make sense. And yes, I was thinking about Science
Cloud overlap. I see Science Clouds as potentially sharing most or all of
these attributes (with the notable exception being charging in terms of end
users seeing a $ figure, showback and/or instance/cpu hour quotas might be
used instead). However, Science Clouds are probably not accessible to the
general public but require membership in, or sponsorship from, some
community in order to get an account.

The specific problems you mention, rather than attributes of the deployment
models, are probably the best way to define this in a way that let's folks
determine their interest. The biggest difference seems to be that
commercial providers have no major interest in the lifecycle management of
customer infrastructure, whereas for Science Clouds turning things off and
cleaning up data is a policy issue that does not appear to have resulted in
any common tooling yet.

Cheers,
Blair