[Openstack-operators] Openstack team size vs's deployment size

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at calavera.ca
Mon Sep 12 21:55:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Mathieu Gagné <mgagne at calavera.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Kris G. Lindgren <klindgren at godaddy.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was hoping to poll other operators to see what their average team size
>> vs’s deployment size is, as I am trying to use this in an internal company
>> discussion.
>
> It is difficult to come up with numbers without context as not all
> team are equally created. But I think we are currently facing the same
> situation where you feel the team can't keep up with the amount of
> work.

I also think that small team with small deployments has little
incentive to invest in *heavy* automation (to help themselves) and/or
tools to delegate its operation to a 3rd party or team. Your
deployment isn't "big enough" so you feel it's not worth the
investment because "I can manage those just fine" or "There isn't
enough compute nodes to automate their installation", etc.

Once you hit a certain size, you need to have those in place. Without
those tools, you will feel overwhelm by the task, feel like you are
the only ones capable of managing/operating the infra and can't
delegate to anyone.