[Openstack-operators] Openstack team size vs's deployment size

xav xavpaice at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:31:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 22:59 +0000, Kris G. Lindgren wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I was hoping to poll other operators to see what their average team
> size vs’s deployment size is, as I am trying to use this in an
> internal company discussion.  Right now we are in the order of ~260
> Compute servers per Openstack Dev/Engineer.  So trying to see how we
> compare with other openstack installs, particularly those running with
> more than a few hundred compute nodes.

Similar discussions for me, but at the opposite end of the scale.

I think a large part of that discussion is around the demarcation
between operator tasks and sysadmin tasks.  If ops are doing purely
OpenStack work or just as an escalation for an operations center, and
others handle the network and OS, then it's a different story. Our
current team is close to 1:10 FTE:compute, but at such a small scale
there's a practical minimum for keeping the lights on regardless of the
scale.  Devs are a separate picture, currently double the number of ops,
and there's customer support/sales folks too.

We're about to open a fresh region and that will load the ops well
beyond capacity, so are hiring another.  The extra region alone doesn't
justify the hire, but the income allows us to do so and eventually we'll
hit a critical mass.  I really don't want to derail the conversation,
but would also love to hear about smaller deployments and how that
balance works.