[Openstack-operators] Nova

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Tue Sep 6 11:22:58 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 04:00:17PM -0700, Adam Lawson wrote:
:Mike that's just as I suspected. To be super clear, does KVM in particular
:know how to distinguish between Ubuntu v12 versus v16? In other words, do I
:need to be running a specific version of KVM hypervisor so it can host
:guests running the latest version of Ubuntu?

You'll be fine.  Paravirtualized Xen could run you into trouble but
KVM doesn't support paravirtualized cpu, just full virtualization so
it's completely agnostic about what you run on top.

I'm definitely running 16 and 12 ontop of 14, but also much weirder
things like Gnu-Herd, FreeBSD and <shudder> Windows...

-Jon

:
:Again, this was brought up as being a firm requirement but I've never ever
:heard of such a requirement unless we're debating KVM versus ESXi so I
:wanted to get my facts straight before I confirmed to the team one way or
:another.
:
://adam
: