[Openstack-operators] Live-migration CPU doesn't have compatibility

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Oct 27 09:20:07 UTC 2016

On 10/26/2016 06:07 AM, William Josefsson wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm facing issues on Liberty/CentOS7 doing live migrations between to
> hosts. The hosts are Haswell and Broadwell. However, there is not
> feature specific running on my VMs
>
> Haswell -> Broadwell works
> Broadwell -> Haswell fails with the error below.
>

> I have on both hosts configured
> [libvirt]
> cpu_mode=none
>
> and restarted openstack-nova-compute on hosts, however that didn't
> help, with the same error. there gotta be a way of ignoring this
> check? pls advice. thx will

If you are using kvm/qemu and set cpu_mode=none, then it will use 'host-model',
and any instances started on Broadwell can't be live-migrated onto Haswell.

In your case you probably want to set both computes to have:

[libvirt]
cpu_mode = custom
cpu_model = Haswell

This will cause nova to start guests with the "Haswell" model on both nodes.

Chris